5.02.2008

Fareed Zakaria, Mystery Jets, Feist on Colbert, Frivolous Lawsuit


He's not flying under the radar or anything, but if you don't know about Fareed Zakaria you should. I'm a big fan. He's a journalist that writes a weekly column for Newsweek, he is the editor for Newsweek's international edition, he's essayed for just about every major publication, he just wrote a book called "The Post-American World", and he appears on tons of TV shows. He has a great interview in this month's Playboy and it reminded me how much I like him. He's an immigrant from India who went to Yale and Harvard. His perspective on world issues is refreshingly aware and he seems to have no allegiance to any particular parties or interests. Here's a quote from his Playboy interview that jumped out as me as a perspective that seems totally obvious, yet I've never heard until now. On the topic of a Iran's nuclear interests and motivation:

We have to come to terms with the fact that Iran is a real country and has legitimate security concerns. Look at the neighborhood: You have a nuclear India, a nuclear Pakistan, a nuclear China, a nuclear Russia and a nuclear Israel. The United States has 150,000 troops on one Iranian border, and 50,000 U.S. and NATO troops are on the other border. You have an American president who keeps saying this is an evil regime that has to be changed. Iran is not just being paranoid. If you were in that situation, you would buy some insurance, and in the world of international relations nuclear weapons are insurance.

++++++++++

I found this fun Mystery Jets remix on a mix tape sent to me by Shannon.

Mystery Jets - Young Love (Shoes remix)

++++++++++

Feist was on Colbert Report the other day and it was great. My love for her is strong. She signed a picture of herself that remains on the bulletin board by my desk as it has for years.






++++++++++

Looks like Schubas is being sued, along with Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy, by the douchebag that got his butt kicked mere feet from me at their private SPIN party last year. His lawsuit is full of holes.

3 comments:

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

yes, thanks for the shout out!
nice postings, keep em up boy

Unknown said...

Stephenson/Stiles,

Good knowledge drop on Fareed.
Check his Q and A with Robert Siegal on NPR.

All things considered, yo!

Tim said...

Will do. I only wish I could be lulled to sleep every night by the sound of Robert Siegal's voice reading me stories every night.