6.26.2008

Expectations

It's best to keep them low and that way you'll be pleasantly surprised, I've often said. Stevie, can I get an AMEN? This isn't actually how I live life though. Instead of low expectations, I have NO expectations. So I'm not a pessimist, I'm a cautious optimist.


Example: I heard the movie Iron Man was "really good" from a few people. Hugh Hefner even decided upon seeing it that he wanted Robert Downey Jr to play him in the forthcoming biopic. I thought Batman Begins was a "really good" action movie so I expected as much from Iron Man. Turns out Iron Man can't touch Batman Begins. It wasn't awful, but it was a run of the mill comic book action flick with a great cast and a horrible score, something that really bothers me. Also, the evil Afghan terrorist didn't look Afghan at all and you could tell from a mile away that (shitty movie spoiler alert!
) Jeff Bridges' character would turn on Tony Stark.



A week later I went to see Sex In The City (Yes, yes, I'm a big gay homo fag pussy etc). I'd heard mixed reviews, one of them scathing from my roommate Kate, but I was still curious to find out where the story went since I'd watched the series on HBO. Also, I'd heard a few positive reviews and it was only $5 and I hadn't seen the folks I went with in ages. So I went in with no expectations, thinking it could be decent or awful. I ended up really enjoying it. It was basically just a long, well done episode of the show. A little too long and slightly depressing, but for me it was 2 hours well spent. The fashion was extravagant, there was a little nudity, I laughed out loud a few times and Jennifer Hudson brought shame to Chicago with her atrocious performance. All in all, nothing life changing, but I really enjoyed the movie.


So anyway, don't expect anything in life, good or bad. When the good comes, recognize it and be happy with it. As for the bad, it's life and happiness isn't a right, it's a privilege. But if you have no exceptions then happiness is easier to find, and that's something to be optimistic about.

And that's my rant.

3 comments:

Stevie said...

AMEN Tim!

kr said...

the girl telilng carrie her outfit is hot in that photo is ashley simpson, which makes it that much better!

Tim said...

Good call Kristen. Ashley is a babe.